Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Babies Don't Keep.


^^this picture was taken about a month ago when I first started this post, and man, he has already changed so much.^^

My easy baby has been not as easy these days and that's been really hard for me. What I thought was a too easy transition into his own room has backfired, and by the end of the day, I just have no more stamina to battle a baby who just wants to be awake. I want to have some time for me, and I want to go to sleep. Selfish desires. 

I woke up this morning feeling so bad how I had behaved the night before. But that's also because I was able to recharge my patience batteries overnight by getting some sleep. After a few failed efforts of baby falling asleep then being wide awake as soon as he was sat down, I found myself googling how young is too young to begin the cry it out method. Judge me if you will, but as I typed it in, it popped up, showing that I am not the first person to google it ha ha. 

So many of my dear friends here have been having their babies, and as I have gone and visited and held those sweet (and not heavy!) babies I can hardly believe that that was me just over two months ago. Two months is hardly anything at all in a non-baby life. And yet just look at my baby now, compared to these little newborns!
These two/almost three months have felt so long, and yet all I have to do it look at pictures of my newborn baby to realize that time is flying. But sometimes days feel like an eternity. It's such a crazy thing. Sometimes I go to sleep feeling discouraged at the daunting thought that I have to do it all again tomorrow. But then morning comes, and my baby wakes up so happy which is just the confidence boost I need to do it another day. 

I guess where I'm going with all of this is that I am trying so hard to cherish these days. And 80% of the time, I feel like I'm succeeding. There's a poem that I heard years ago by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton that has been in my head so often these days that easily helps me put things in perspective. 

"The cleaning and scrubbing can wait till tomorrow
But children grow up as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs; Dust go to sleep!
I’m rocking my baby and babies don’t keep."



I also like to use this poem as an excuse why my house is messy ;)

Anyway, time is fleeting. And I am so grateful for a patient little boy, who still smiles at me and loves me despite my flaws. I hope he stays that way forever. 

3 comments:

  1. I've been feeling the same way! My little girl likes to be dead asleep after eating and then as soon as I lay her in her cradle she is awake. Ahh! It drives me crazy because I just want to go to sleep. But then I think she won't be so little anymore and I just need to love her and maybe cuddle her for a few more minutes. Being a mom is hard! Doing mostly the same thing day in and day out can be tiring. But when they start smiling and laughing it makes it worth it. Your little guy is so adorable! He has the sweetest smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will not judge what an overtired mom does to get her baby to sleep. From 3-6 months Ava was a terrible sleeper (like waking up 7-10 times a night.) At her 6 month check-up, my pediatrician actually recommended having her cry it out. He said some babies don't automatically self sooth and need to cry it out to figure it out and that it remarkably only takes a few (really hard) night for them. Anyway, J is precious and you have made this whole mom transition look way to easy and I'm glad to hear i was not the only one who had a lot of hard days and nights. :-) I still have not been able to figure out how the days drag on but the months fly by!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS