Monday, April 22, 2013

Thank You, Mrs. Konigsburg

Children's book author E.L. Konigsburg passed away a few days ago. I have such an admiration for this woman, because she has helped me and so many others learn to love reading.

 I can think of a few monumental books that took me to the next level of book adoration and reading adventures. First it was Dr. Seuss in my very early years. Then it was the American Girl series (who even wrote all those?? I need to look). There was Judy Bloom, and Lois Lowry. And then there was From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil  E. Frankweiler. 

From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil  E. Frankweiler is one of those novels that stays with you the rest of your life. What child didn't fantasize about running away from home to have some kind of grand adventure? E.L. Konigsburg took us on that adventure. We got to be a part of it, and we got to do it even if we lived nowhere near exciting New York City and the Metropolitan Museum of Art. Twyla Tharp said about art (which includes novels, of course!): "Art is the only way to run away without leaving home." I just love that a novel can do that. And I am so thankful to have learned that at a young age thanks to those beloved writers, and especially E.L. Konigsburg. 

She is an inspiration to me because her goal was to help young people love to read. Reading has so many positive results, especially in children, and those who can create wonderful stories that inspire and enlighten and show children the joys of reading are heroes to me. 

I can't wait to read Mrs. Konigsburg's books to my own children. I will miss seeing new stories being published by her; she was writing novels well into her seventies. 

So thanks again, Mrs. Konigsburg. You will be missed. 

4 comments:

  1. I remember my fourth grade teacher reading the files to us after lunch. For a few beautiful minutes each day we were mesmerized.

    Thanks for the reminder Annie. I think I will read it to my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a computer wrote the American Girl books. Each one was the exact same plot just the characters and settings were changed. The books only purpose was to get you to beg your parents to buy you the ridiculously over priced dolls and accessories. And it worked. I read every single book and wanted all of the dolls - except Molly. Who wanted Molly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So harsh Shelley. Molly was my fav! (and the doll that i had). But yeah, it's harsh but true ha ha.

      Delete
  3. I had no idea she passed! I loved her books for all the same reasons. She is an inspiration. p.s. miss you!

    ReplyDelete

 
BLOG TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS